At least 550 of these wagons were built between 1871 and 1921. Very little is known about the early versions of the wagons but there are some photographs and drawings of some of the later versions. They were mainly built at the Cambrian’s own workshop at Oswestry, but some were built by outside contractors: Ashbury’s 1882 and 1897; Metropolitan Railway Carriage and Wagon Company 1890 and 1893 and RY Pickering’s in Glasgow in 1902. Although the design of the wagon didn’t change some were fitted with a sheeting rail and others with coke raves. Most of the wagons were absorbed into the GWR. As these wagons had wooden underframes they would have been removed from GWR quite quickly. The last wagon of this type was scrapped in February 1945.
HO, 4mm, S, 7mm, 1/32