2100 were built from 1900 to 1902 by the Midland with 80 being diverted to the S&DJR. In 1914 some of these wagons passed to the LSWR and some back to the Midland. However 60+ remained in S&DJR livery until 1930. A number of these wagons survived in revenue traffic until 1950’s when they were sold out of service where some lasted until 1970’s. These wagons would have been a familiar sight all over Scotland and England.